Apple released iOS 11.1, the first major update to iOS 11 since its release in September. Included in the changes are over 70 new emoji, along with some other minor updates, like the return of the 3D Touch option to open up the app switcher by pressing down on the left side of the screen that Apple mystifyingly took out in the original iOS 11 release.
iOS 11.1 also features a patch for the “Krack” Wi-Fi hack vulnerability, which is good news and a reason to make sure that you’re updated on your devices, even if you aren’t particularly excited by the idea of a broccoli emoji. And of course, there’s the usual “bug fixes and Improvements,” which should hopefully make iOS 11 a little more stable.
After rolling out multiple betas of iOS 11.1, Apple has released it for the iPhone and the iPad to the public. Apple is already testing iOS 11.2, which contains Sirikit for HomePod with limited third-party developer support and a fix for a bug that causes Calculator animation issues. iOS 11.1 is the first major point release for iOS 11 following the minor point releases iOS 11.0.1, iOS 11.0.2 and iOS 11.0.3.
What Is Included In The iOS 11.1 Update?
Apple added over 70 new emoji and brought back the 3D multitasking gesture. But one of the most important new features that might have been added in iOS 11.1 is an under-the-hood battery fix.
In early October, Apple revealed that new emoji would be added in the iOS 11.1 update. “The new emoji are designed to reveal every detail and adapted from approved characters in Unicode 10. iOS 11.1 will also include characters announced on World Emoji Day like Woman with Headscarf,
Bearded Person, Breastfeeding, Zombie, Person in Lotus Position and new food items such as Sandwich and Coconut. It also included in the update is the Love-You Gesture, designed after the ‘I love you’ hand sign in American Sign Language,” said Apple in a statement at the time.
It’s worth mentioning that Apple did not seem to add Apple Pay Cash in this update.
Here are the release notes that Apple provided for iOS 11.1:
- Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more.
- Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry.
- Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly.
- Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup.
- Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots.
- Improves braille support for Grade 2 input.
- This update improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs.
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications.
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher.
- iOS 11.1 fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing.
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to the default action in Mail.
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages.
Other improvements and fixes in iOS 11.1.
- Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch.
- Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on the Lock screen.
- The new update fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps.
- Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data.
- Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation).
- Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch.